Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Thankful List...Old Movies

Well, it's official. The tummy bug is visiting the Taylor household once again. I think we caught it at the gym. They have a playroom for the children to stay in while you workout. And it's the only thing I can think of that they've been exposed to germs. I'm the momma that carries wet wipes every where. And if they have sticky hands or runny noses, which happens quite often at this time of year I'm there with a wipe. But, I guess, I need to inspect further into how often they disinfect their "playroom." And I don't mean spray and wipe down disinfect. I mean warm tub of soapy water with two cap fulls of clorox disinfect. (Yes, I'm that over protective momma.) Anyway, we are making the beat of it. They are quietly napping now, and my friend Dawn, dropped by a couple of movies for me to watch.

The Preacher's Wife

and the original it was based on .....
The Bishop's Wife

I have not seen either of these movies in their entirety. Only snippets, here and there. She said she knew I'd love the music in The Preacher's Wife and who doesn't love Denzel Washinton. But she knows I'm addicted to the classics. And I love Cary Grant and Loretta Young, so I can't wait to watch them both. This got me thinking about another remake I dearly love....
You've Got Mail

and the original it was based on....
Shop Around the Corner

Both of which I have seen, and both of which I adore. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are so great together. Not in a passionate way, but in a quirky kinda two pieces of the puzzle that just found each other and fit kind of way. It's not fireworks, but they're quietly drawn to one another, and you're drawn in as well. And the way they romanticise New York in the fall, through the scenery and their e-mails. I felt like There was a slight homage there to the play Love Letters. And Jimmy Stewart is one of my all time favorite actors. I love him in Mr Smith Goes to Washington and It's a Wonderful Life. I can't think of the holidays without it. So, I'm off to enjoy some of my old movies. Well, some old, some new. I think I grab a cup of hot chocolate while I'm at it. Til next time. Blessing to you all. Oh, and please say a little prayer for the babies to have a speedy recovery. Thanks!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I lvoe those movies! What a sweet friend to drop them off for you! I hope your children are well soon :)