Monday, November 30, 2009

The Jesse Tree


This year instead of buying an Advent house, I decided to make a Jesse tree and ornaments with my children. We started our reading and ornaments yesterday. I've been reading ahead and decided to summarize each of our scripture readings for the children so they can better understand them. Today our reading comes from Genesis 3:1-24, which is the story of the fall of man. Our symbol is an apple and a snake. We are talking about how Adam and Eve disobeyed God and because of that they had to leave the garden of Eden. I talked to them this morning about how even though God still loved them very much, there were consequences to them disobeying God's instructions. This is a great lesson for us right now, because we can relate it to how there is a punishment (like time out,)when we disobey mommy or daddy. They are both trying to learn how to share with one another with out taking toys away from one another or yelling at each other. Taking turns is not always easy when you are two and three. At this age, they struggle with the mine, mine, mine concept or getting angry at one another is one takes the other's toy. Last week at church we were able to talk about the story of Cain and Able and how it's Ok to have happy, sad or even mad feelings, because God gave us different emotions and feelings. But, it's learning what to do with our feelings that matters, (enter the concept of self-control.) We talked about how God was pleased with Abel's offering because he gave his best to God. But, Cain kept the best for himself and gave God what was left over, which I'm sure made God very sad, and there fore He was pleased with Abel's offering and not Cain's. This made Cain very angry, and because he was so angry he ended up hurting and killing his brother Able. Next, we talked about how maybe if Cain had talked to God about how he felt he wouldn't have acted on those angry feelings and done something he couldn't take back. And because of what he had done he had to leave, just as Adam and Eve had to leave the garden. Again I explained to them that God still loved Cain very much, and promised He would protect him, but there were consequences to the bad thing he had done,which is "sin." So, this is all tying in together and I hope giving them the beginning of understanding to sin. And hopefully hearing these stories at different times and places will help them to remember them and the lessons behind them. Tonight as a family and at Master Club, we are going to talk about Noah, a man who obeyed God's instruction, even when others made fun or him. And how God protected him and his family. We are going to talk about the ark and the animals, and how the rainbow represents a promise from God. That story comes from Genesis 6:11-22 and Genesis 8:6-12. And our symbol is the ark with a rainbow over it. I'm praying that the Lord will help me prepare my heart each night as I read ahead and get ready for our bible story and ornament for the next day. I want this to be exciting and fun for them as we learn.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I awarded you something on my blog, just like Christy! :) xoxo!

Sandra said...

I have never heard of the Jesse tree before. What a wonderful teaching tool to use. Hope you continue to post about this so I can learn how to share this with my grand-daughter.
Sandra