Sunday, November 14, 2010

Giving Thanks Challenge 2010 ~#7

http://southbreezefarm.blogspot.com/2010/10/2010-giving-thanks-challenge.html


7. Today I am enjoying the bird feeder Hugh hung outside our living room window. It's just something simple, but sometimes the simplest pleasures in life are the sweetest. It is so relaxing to me to be able to sit and watch the birds as I read or play with the kids. It reminds me of Ohio. We had a huge picture window in our living room there, and we had a feeder in the tree right outside the window there too. So, it feels familiar, and it makes it feel more like home. We've had a few cardinals come to visit, which also reminds me of being up north in Ohio, because that is the state bird there. I love how the Lord brings everything full circle in your life, even the littlest of things. He uses it all to remind you of the blessings in your life.



#8. Books! I am so thankful for books, for the enjoyment they bring us and for how they enrich our lives. I have been reading Jesus Calling this year. It is a daily devotion written from the perspective of God, as if He were talking directly to you. My friend Marci gave it to me for my birthday, with this inscription; This little book has opened my ears again to the voice of the Father. I pray it is a blessing to you. Just think...we'll be reading it together each day. (Side note: My birthday is in February so she had already begun this devotion at the beginning of the year.) Is that not the most endearing inscription? It makes me tear up every time I read it because I'm blessed to have a friend who truly cares about my spiritual life and walk with God. It was just what I needed this year. Some how the way it's written, in first person, just makes it more personal for me. It has prompted dialogue on my end in my prayer life, as well. I can't say enough good things about it.

The next set of books I have here I recently found for my children for the Advent season and Christmas holidays. I love Golden books. They remind me of my childhood. I found them on display in front of the check out at Walmart. Again, thank you Lord for small blessings! My little ones are going to be playing a donkey and a cow in our up coming Christmas play. Anna Grace was upset because they had originally told her she was going to be an angel along with her cousin, Taylor Brooke. She started crying when we left play practice this last week because she didn't want to be a cow in the play. She kept saying everyone was going to laugh at her. Trey on the other hand was very proud he was going to be a donkey. I think his excitement helped ease her disappointment. When I saw The Animals' Christmas Eve, I thought Oh how wonderful. This will help so much. -and it has. We have been reading the book every night, and now they are both excited about being animals in the play. Thank you Lord for sending just what we needed. #9. I can't wait to see them in the play. I'm thankful they get the opportunity to be a part of this.

No comments: